Your Cheat Sheet to Choose a Domain Name for Your Website
We take care of ample of things while developing a new website but seldom do we care about the domain name disciplines. Domain names often act as a juggernaut when it comes to creating an influence over click-through-rate, type-in traffic, branding, developing trust, mouth publicity, offline advertising and grabbing more attention in the SERP’s.
So from every aspect, we need to make sure that the domain name is sending the right signals in order to get the most value. Here are the top credible points to help you craft the right domain name.
1. Pick The Right Extension – While the most popular extension is.com but that doesn’t mean one should quickly opt for without acknowledging the following factors:
- The Purpose of Website: If it is a business-oriented site then a.com or.biz could be worthwhile. But contrarily if it is meant for the organization then.org is the most viable option. Consequently, choose a TLD that keeps a tight relation with your domain.
- Targeting a local area: If the domain is targeting the local geographical area then consider the SEO first. There are around 200 different country code TLDs, pick the one that matches the users’ website country code.
But if the target is global with an aim to rank better on search engines than.com is the most preferable option. Other than that here are some top extensions that can be used as per their usage:
- .co: an abbreviation for company, commerce, and community.
- .org: non-commercial organizations and nonprofits.
- .net: technical, Internet infrastructure sites.
- .biz: business or commercial use, like e-commerce sites.
- .info: informational sites.
- .me: blogs, resumes or personal sites.
2. Keep It Short and Intuitive – Choose a domain name that is uncomplicated, short, and easily relatable with your brand. It should be easy to pronounce and clearly informative and imply what your business is all about.
3. Use Broad Keyword – In 2019, it is strictly NO to use keyword rich words in the domain name as Google is biasing away from exact match and partial match domains. E.g. do not go for websitedevelopment (dot) com or iosdevelopers (dot) com instead choose a brand name that umbrellas your work. Think like webnerds (dot) com, appgeeks (dot) com. More condensed can be inventing your own unique brand name like amazon (dot) com, Codiant (dot) com etc.
4. Avoid number and hyphens – Don’t mislead your audience with the spelling confusion. The people who hear a number in your domain name may type it numerically or in characters. Still if you wish to include number you can buy both variations (numerical and character) and redirect it to the right one.
5. Be Careful Taking Trademarks – Do research your domain name before you finalize it. It should not infringe any of your competitors’ trademarks. Otherwise, you may be succumbed to legal actions, in worst cases.
6. Don’t Get Late – Fortunately, if you get the desirable domain name available act fast and register it as soon as possible since domain name sells quickly.
Hope this article carves out an effective strategy for choosing a winning domain name. If you’re still perplexed and running out of ideas for choosing one then you can also seek the help from the website development company you have hired for your dream project. The digital marketing team in software companies have a wealth of experience to help you out in this.
Source by Anuradha Badone